Setup Wireless Router With Maxis Wireless Broadband
I have managed to setup a Wireless Router with the Maxis Wireless Broadband Modem to provide WiFi coverage to my entire house. Sharing my configuration and setup here for my equipment.
1 unit Wireless Broadband Modem by Maxis : ZTE MF600
1 unit WiFi Broadband Router : D-Link DI-524 Wireless G
1 unit Standard CAT5 Ethernet Cable (1 Pair)
1 Unit Laptop with WiFi Card supporting Wireless G
1 Unit Win XP SP2 Desktop PC
1 Unit Desktop Adapter installed into Win XP Desktop PC : D-Link DWL-G510 Wireless G
Connect PC to Router
1. Do not connect Router to Modem first.
2. Connect Router to Laptop for setup first. (Laptop has ethernet port, PC might not)
3. Connect Laptop Ethernet Port to Router (Port 1-4) using a standard ethernet cable
4. Configure your network card to obtain IP address automatically.
5. Http://192.168.0.1 this is the admin page for the router (incidently this is also the same IP for the modem)
1. Set a new IP address for the Router so as not to conflict with Modem
2. Home > LAN >
IP Address : 220.127.116.11
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
3. Home > WAN >
Select Dynamic IP Address
Primary DNS Address : 192.168.0.1
Secondary DNS Address : 18.104.22.168 (OpenDNS)
4. Home > Wireless (this step is optional)
Network ID (SSID) : Give a Name to your WiFi access Point
Secuirty : WEP
WEP Encryption : 64 Bit (or 124 bit up to you)
WEP Key1 : 10 digit alphanumeric if 64 bit (remember this key)
5. Disable the DHCP server on Router because Modem also has DHCP
6. Home > DHCP >
Select Disable DHCP server
7. Wireless Router now setup but you will no longer be able to receive an IP address from Router DHCP.
Note : Security Encrytion
I tried WAP encryption, could get signal but the Wireless Adapter DWL-510 unable to connect to Wireless Router
Using WEP, had no problems connecting after providing the Passkey.
Found this out by Progressively setting security from Open to WEP to WAP.
Physical Connections betwen Router and Modem
1. Connect Ethernet Cable from LAN port on Modem to Port 1-4 on Router
2. Do not use the Cross Cable supplied with Modem.
3. Do not connect to WAN port on Router
1. Do not need to change.
2. IP address is 192.168.0.1
Laptop / PC (for wireless Connection to Router)
1. Ensure that your laptop wifi card is set to obtain IP address automatically
2. Detect Signal and connect to the Router via WiFi
3. If you set WEP on Router , then you will be required to enter the 10 digit WEP key
3. All your network settings should then be obtained from the Modem
sample of network properties
IP Address : 192.168.0.x (modem assigned)
DNS : 192.168.0.1 (you can override this, recommend use other DNS)
Gateway : 192.168.0.1 (must be this)
4. All done ! Launch web browser and enjoy !
My Personal Observations
D-Link 524 Wireless G and D-Link DWL G510 Router is a good combo and does give ok connection. FYI, Router on 1st Floor , PC on Ground Floor, Laptop on Second floor. Tried a Planex USB WiFI Adapter before exchanging for the DWL G510. Signal more stable and connection is constant.
Uncheck Use Windows to configure my Wireless Setting under Wireless Network Tab for Properties of the Connection in Network Connections. Use the D-Link software to manage the Wifi Connection on the PC. Can learn more about this by googling Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC).
A lot of my info here is done through trial and error and googling. You can duplicate my setup but no garauntees provided :)